Coloured sports pitch for secondary school
Dumbarton, West Scotland
West Dumbartonshire Council
An all weather multi use games area was required as part of a £25 million project to build a new three storey, 1,000 pupil school in Dumbarton in the west of Scotland. This games area would be used throughout the year for sports like football and hockey, so it needed to avoid standing water after rainfall. A conventional drainage system with gulleys and pipework, would have added significant time and complexity to the programme. The main contractor BAM Construction and West Dunbartonshire Council had already agreed a handover date in October so it was vital that the work was completed within the allotted time.
After discussions with the main contractor to understand the project requirements, Tarmac proposed ULTICOLOUR POROUS as a 6mm porous coloured asphalt and specialist porous binder course for the main playing surface along with 6mm porous black asphalt for the perimeter. Both asphalts could be laid using a conventional paving machine, which would allow the large area to be surfaced quickly. The clear polymer modified binder used in ULTICOLOUR POROUS provides bright colours, helping to complement the design of the new school. It is also highly durable, providing the long lasting, low maintenance surface that the client was looking for.
Results and benefits
Work was completed on time, in line with the agreed schedule, with the main 1,806m2 games area and 397m2 perimeter installed over three days in late July 2017. Using a porous asphalt as part of a full infiltration pavement design avoided the need to install a conventional drainage system. As a coloured asphalt was used, there was no need to paint large areas of the surface, which helped to simplify the programme. The aggregate used in ULTICOLOUR POROUS is colour matched to the pigment providing a longer lasting finish. This gave the client confidence in the long term performance of the new product.
Learn more about ULTICOLOUR POROUS Download case study
Colourful, all weather sports surface
The bright colourful sports pitch drained quickly after heavy rain, allowing all weather access.
The smooth, even asphalt surface, provided a safe and consistent playing surface for school sports.
Low maintenance requirement
Work was completed in just three days. Using a porous asphalt system avoided the need to install a conventional drainage system.
ULTICOLOUR POROUS case studies
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for exclusive wedding and event venue
- Highway Services Stockport Highway Investment Programme
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for busy adventure park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for retail park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured estate road surface for traditional housing development
- ULTICOLOUR POROUS Coloured sports pitch for secondary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured car park surface for a modern housing development
- ULTICOLOUR Colourful visitor footpaths for a busy leisure park
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coastal footpath for nature reserve
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for woodland footpath
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for busy tourist venue
- ULTICOLOR Decorative coloured surface for a coastal promenade
- ULTICOLOUR Long lasting, coloured asphalt bus lane