Decorative coloured asphalt for busy tourist venue
Kynren, Bishop Auckland, Durham
This high profile tourist attraction in Bishop Auckland, near Durham required a surface for the large pedestrian area next to its main arena. The site, below Auckland Castle, with an 8,000-seater grandstand was created to stage outdoor historical theater productions. The visual appearance needed to fit the historic character of the site. It also needed to be durable enough to withstand the large volumes of visitors that were expected and to be used by site vehicles.
After considering a number of alternative surfacing solutions, 6mm ULTICOLOUR Buff was chosen by the client. ULTICOLOUR is a range of coloured asphalts that combine a clear polymer modified binder, a pigment and colour matched aggregates. This produces bright colours and a longer lasting finish that resists surface wear and keeps its appearance for longer. ULTICOLOUR is laid quickly using conventional paving equipment, meaning this large area could be completed on schedule. It has a proven record of long term performance in a range of environments including on roads, footpaths, driveways and commercial sites.
Results and benefits
As planned, 150 tonnes of 6mm ULTICOLOUR Buff was successfully laid in late June 2016 by the surfacing contractor Rainton Construction. Tarmac’s experienced technical staff were available throughout, to ensure that the contractor had the guidance and support that they needed. The chosen buff colour fitted well with the surrounding wooden structures and the theme of the site. The client was happy with the speed of the work and the smooth, even finish. ULTICOLOUR provides a safe, trip free surface, and avoids the maintenance issues that can occur due to movement and weed growth in block pavements.
Learn more about ULTICOLOUR Download case study
Ideal for historic settings
The buff coloured asphalt complemented this historic setting far better than conventional black asphalt.
Hard wearing pedestrian surface
Durable enough to resist foot traffic from the large number of people that would visit this venue.
ULTICOLOUR avoids the movement, weed growth and maintenance requirements of block pavers.
ULTICOLOUR case studies
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for exclusive wedding and event venue
- Highway Services Stockport Highway Investment Programme
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for busy adventure park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for retail park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured estate road surface for traditional housing development
- ULTICOLOUR POROUS Coloured sports pitch for secondary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured car park surface for a modern housing development
- ULTICOLOUR Colourful visitor footpaths for a busy leisure park
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coastal footpath for nature reserve
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for woodland footpath
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for busy tourist venue
- ULTICOLOR Decorative coloured surface for a coastal promenade
- ULTICOLOUR Long lasting, coloured asphalt bus lane