Decorative coloured asphalt for woodland footpath
Cyfarthfa Park, Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
Mrthyr Tydfil Borough Council
Alun Griffiths Ltd
The existing network of woodland paths within Cyfarthfa Park needed resurfacing to provide a more even surface that was accessible to all users, including those with mobility issues. It also needed to be robust enough for use by maintenance vehicles. Funding was available through the Heritage Lottery Fund to help raise the profile of the Park and increase visitor numbers. The path upgrade was required to meet the criteria of the Green Flag Award Scheme.
Tarmac recommended ULTICOLOUR CLASSIC RED as a solution. The red colour was important to replicate the original 200 year old red ash paths which surrounded the Grade 1 Listed Castle. ULTICOLOUR offered a bright colourful finish for clear demarcation of the pathway. It also enabled the contractor to achieve a dense, durable finish for a safe, trip-free surface that would keep its appearance for longer.
Results and benefits
Despite the challenges of working on a site with difficult access, the work was completed successfully between February and July 2013. Since then, the local authority has received some excellent feedback on the quality of the new surface and difference it has made to users. The new surface has been welcomed as offering far better access for users of pushchairs and wheelchairs, especially during the Autumn and Winter months when the previous path had been unusable.
Learn more about ULTICOLOUR Download case study
Bright, decorative asphalt
The bright red coloured asphalt was chosen to complement the woodland setting.
Safe, accessible surface
Safe, even, trip free surface with improved accessibility for users of wheelchairs and pushchairs.
All season access
All season access, including during winter months when the previous path was unusable.
ULTICOLOUR case studies
- ULTICOLOUR Long lasting colour and demarcation on a central London cycle path
- Ulticolour cycle way Ulticolour, A34 Cycleway, Birmingham
- ULTICOLOUR Ulticolour improves demarcation and pedestrian safety outside primary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for exclusive wedding and event venue
- Highway Services Stockport Highway Investment Programme
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for busy adventure park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for retail park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured estate road surface for traditional housing development
- ULTICOLOUR POROUS Coloured sports pitch for secondary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured car park surface for a modern housing development
- ULTICOLOUR Colourful visitor footpaths for a busy leisure park
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coastal footpath for nature reserve
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for woodland footpath
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for busy tourist venue
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured surface for a coastal promenade
- ULTICOLOUR Lasting durability: 18 years of service on a busy bus route