ULTILOW & ULTIFLEX
Fast resurfacing of a busy roundabout using warm mix asphalt
Reconstruction of the M180/M18 North Ings interchange roundabout to restore the pavement life for many years to come. The work was part of a package of 12 schemes in Area 12 secured by Tarmac National Contracting’s Cross Green office and involved reconstruction of large sections with over 2,000 tonnes of EME2. The scheme required a multiple layer construction in a tight working window, Tarmac proposed to use low temperature asphalt EME2 to permit as early an overlay as possible. Aone+ wanted to minimise disruption to network users and the busy service area just off the junction and using the LTA was the only way this scheme could have been delivered to such a tight program.
The scheme on the M18/M180 junction involved reconstruction of the roundabout over a full weekend closure. With over 3,000 tonnes of material required to complete the works over a short closure period, it was vital to be able to overlay the new construction layers at the earliest opportunity. ULTILOW warm mix asphalt was proposed for the base/ binder course. ULTILOW asphalt are supplied and laid at lower temperatures and generate lower carbon emissions during production. They also generate significant productivity gains as it requires less cooling time between courses. This increases the amount of asphalt that can be laid in a per shift, helping to compress progamme times.
Results and benefits
EME2 is a higher binder material prone to deformation from construction traffic if overlaid when hot. ULTILOW EME2 was proposed by Tarmac as the solution to reducing the risk of damage to the new construction during the build. A departure from standard permitting a lower rolling temperature was supported by Highways England. The ULTILOW EME2 was installed in two 120mm layers, followed by a 30mm layer of 10mm ULTIFLEX surface course. The Contracting team worked in shifts over 24 hour period to ensure the scheme was completed on time.
Learn more about ULTILOW Learn more about ULTIFLEX Download case study
Low carbon warm mix asphalt
ULTILOW warm mix asphalts generate fewer carbon emissions in production for improved sustainability.
Less cooling time between courses increases the paving volumes per shift.
Reduced disruption to road users
Helped meet the ambitious programme times and minimise disruption to road users.
ULTILOW case studies
- ULTIPAVE WITH ULTILOW WARM MIX BINDER Warm mix asphalt with lower carbon emissions
- Rubber Modified Asphalt Rubber Modified Asphalt delivers enhanced sustainability
- ULTILAYER WITH ULTILOW WARM MIX BINDER Fast, sustainable, single layer resurfacing on a busy London road
- ULTILAYER, ULTILOW and Steel Slag ULTILAYER SMA delivers single layer pavement upgrade in Northolt
- ULTILOW A2 Bluewater, ULTILOW and early engagement delivering timesaving productvity
- ULTILOW Driving efficiency and reducing carbon on on the A350
- ULTILOW Warm mix asphalt for new link road
- ULTILOW Warm mix asphalt road resurfacing on the busy M6 motoway
- ULTILOW Reducing programme times and carbon emissions during road resurfacing