Low heat flowing concrete mix for London railway
East London’s vibrant and culturally diverse Whitechapel area is undergoing a transformation as part of Crossrail’s £110m project to give a facelift to Whitechapel station. The works which started in 2011 will see the new station act as an interchange between the Crossrail, Hammersmith and City, District and London Overground lines. Work is being conducted within a tightly constrained and highly populated area, with the aim of causing minimal disruption to daily commuters in and around Whitechapel.
We supplied all the readymixed concrete for four large pours totalling 3,000m3 that went down throughout the night. Part of the specification had a limit on the core temperature of the placed concrete so we developed a new low heat TOPFLOW mix over a four week period that was used for lining the walls. Due to the highly congested environment and heavily reinforced nature of the structure at Whitechapel station, a product was required that would easily flow through steel structures. The client specified a bespoke blend of our specialist TOPFLOW self compacting concrete.
Results and benefits
TOPFLOW’S rapid, flexible and easy placement means that large volumes could be poured quickly. Separate pours were scheduled in quick succession to enable the “leap-frogging” of pours and minimise the number of stop-ends required, which saved time and helped to create a better aesthetic finish. Each pour provided enough concrete for the full 5.55m height of each retaining wall and had to be completed in one continuous pour. We reacted very quickly to the challenge of providing low heat concrete for the lining walls and we now have a new product in our TOPFLOW range.
Learn more about TOPFLOW Download case study
Topflow is self compacting
Topflow has fluidity and stability that delivers the ultimate free-flowing, self-compacting concrete.
Free flowing Topflow concrete can be placed quickly, with the material consolidating easily and effortlessly into the required pour locations.
Topflow provides complete flexibility
This quick pour concrete reduces noise and eliminates vibration, considerably improving conditions on site as well as saving time and money.
Topflow is available in different variants
Topflow comes in several different variants which includes Topflow Horizontal, Topflow Precast, Topflow Architectural, Topflow Concrete and Topflow Trenchflow to meet the needs of the project.
Low heat flowing concrete mix for London railway contact
TOPFLOW case studies
- TOPFLOW Reinforced concrete for school buildings
- TOPFLOW Fibres added onsite to concrete for flooring solution
- TOPFLOW Cost effective concrete for motorways and highways
- TOPFLOW Quick pour concrete for railways
- TOPFLOW Easy and quick pour concrete for housing
- TOPFLOW Large concrete projects for London tall build
- TOPFLOW Flowing and spreadable concrete for residential housing
- TOPFLOW Pumpable concrete for limited access roads
- TOPFLOW Pumpable flowing concrete for railways
- TOPFLOW Flowing and spreadable concrete for flooring
- TOPFLOW Pumpable flowing concrete for silo wall infill
- TOPFLOW Low heat flowing concrete mix for London railway