Quick pour concrete for railways
Sighthill Park Railway Project
Glasgow City Council
Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering
Balfour Beatty had the task of mass filling a disused railway tunnel on behalf of Glasgow City Council. With 80% of the tunnel filled with hardcore and insulation panels, the reality was that putting the workforce in the remaining 1.4m confined space, was not going to be achievable. GCC had specified the remaining void was to be filled with a 40N concrete to withstand the loading’s above. With poor access, lighting and working environment Balfour Beatty were looking for a solution.
From receipt of the enquiry, Tarmac quickly instigated a site meeting to allow a detailed view on the challenges the customer faced, and the solution they could offer. The underground tunnel had four bore hole access points and it was quickly determined that a self compacting concrete would be required. It needed to be supplied as one continuous pour, in order to complete the void fill without the need for any manpower entering the tunnel due to safety concerns. Tarmac suggested using TOPFLOW 40N and utilizing their extensive production, technical and on-site expertise of the product, they demonstrated to Balfour Beatty the benefits of this solution.
Results and benefits
After careful planning, Tarmac’s Shettleston plant was set up to deliver the 330m3+ pour with the plant dedicated to the supply and 6 trucks allocated for deliveries. The pour was completed in 10 hours which was an exceptional performance and the largest single Topflow pour carried out by the Scotland Sector. The team work involved from Commercial, Shipping, Production and their hauliers is a great example of what can be achieved by Tarmac.
‘’It is clear that Tarmac are on a different level to their competitors when it comes to organisation and communication.’’ Gary McLeary - Sub Agent, Balfour Beatty.
Learn more about TOPFLOW Download case study
Quick flowing concrete
Free flowing Topflow concrete can be placed quickly, with the material consolidating easily and effortlessly into the required pour locations.
Self compacting concrete
Topflow self compacting concrete provides an excellent flat surface that can be laid to SR2 tolerances for slabs and floors, eliminating the need for power floating.
Topflow comes in several different variants which includes Topflow Horizontal, Topflow Architectural, Topflow Precast and Topflow Trenchflow.
Quick pour concrete for railways contact
TOPFLOW case studies
- TOPFLOW Reinforced concrete for school buildings
- TOPFLOW Fibres added onsite to concrete for flooring solution
- TOPFLOW Cost effective concrete for motorways and highways
- TOPFLOW Quick pour concrete for railways
- TOPFLOW Easy and quick pour concrete for housing
- TOPFLOW Large concrete projects for London tall build
- TOPFLOW Flowing and spreadable concrete for residential housing
- TOPFLOW Pumpable concrete for limited access roads
- TOPFLOW Pumpable flowing concrete for railways
- TOPFLOW Flowing and spreadable concrete for flooring
- TOPFLOW Pumpable flowing concrete for silo wall infill
- TOPFLOW Low heat flowing concrete mix for London railway