Tarmac Highways Services (THS) Crisis response
Tarmac Highways Services Crisis Response
Rutland County Council and Doncaster Council
When the floods hit Doncaster in November 2019, water levels form the River Don quickly caused widespread flooding to homes, with more than 1000 properties evacuated in the worst hit areas.
As the Term Maintenance contractor for Rutland County Council, Tarmac was approached to support neighbouring Doncaster with the Mutual Aid request. Twenty thousand sandbags were needed immediately.
The supply of sandbags for this crisis was not within the contractual requirements of the Rutland agreement however, with massive national capability and local resources available, the Tarmac Highway Services team was sure that supply could be mobilised. Responding to the call for assistance Tarmac’s teams in Rutland located stocks and organised material supply to ensure resources were available to fulfil the request.
Results and benefits
Tarmac responded to the request for help received by its Rutland County Council customer. Within 48 hours a solution was formulated, and the supply challenges met. The successful outcomes highlighted the importance of collaboration and cooperation.
Learn more about Highway Services Download case study
“Doncaster activated Mutual Aid through the LLR Resilience Forum. The response for 20,000 sandbags from Rutland County Council and Tarmac was brilliant, particularly as the supply was sourced overnight. What this demonstrated is we can react quickly and at scale because we have such great contractors – the model works. Thank you to everyone”.
Chief Executive, Rutland County Council.
HIGHWAY SERVICES case studies
- Highways Services Tarmac Highways Services and Via East Midlands sustainable highways
- HIGHWAY SERVICES Tarmac Highways Services Crisis Response
- Highways Services Tarmac Highways Services complete improvements to the notorious Hempnall crossroads, Norfolk
- HIGHWAY SERVICES Highways infrastructure project works
- Sustainable surfacing Sustainable surfacing works
- Highway Services M6 Surfacing works
- HIGHWAY SERVICES Surfacing works and proactive, preventative solutions
- Highway services A1 (M) motorway operation and maintenance contract