Ulticolour improves demarcation and pedestrian safety outside primary school
Alva primary school
JH Civil Engineering
Road and footpath outside a primary school
The school and local community had raised concerns about traffic movement and pedestrian safety outside Alva Primary School, due to increased usage by the public. Speed tables were to be installed on the carriageway outside the school, with a designated pedestrian crossing and the main footpath to the school entrance widened. To help with demarcation and aesthetics the council designer was keen to use a coloured surface.
The specification was changed three weeks before the project was due to be completed to allow for the school reopening after the summer holidays. Major sections of the new road construction needed to be completed, making the timeframe for installation of the coloured material very tight.
Council design engineer Gary Fraser was keen to use a coloured surface for the footpath, but wanted a more durable alternative to a resin bound system, due to the footpath being heavily trafficked everyday by school pupils and members of the public. Following a site visit to an ULTICOLOUR Natural Gravel site completed by Tarmac National Contracting, where the material had been insitu for over 6 years, he was keen to change his specification based on the ULTICOLOUR systems performance.
ULTICOLOUR 6mm Natural Gravel was selected as a replacement for the resin system, which provided a more durable, longer lasting surface. This could be installed as part of the resurfacing works instead of another contractor attending site to install the resin system, further delaying the project.
Results and benefits
The specification of ULTICOLOUR asphalt helped to deliver the programme on time, whilst providing a product that requires less maintenance due to its superior durability and natural colour.
Tarmac provided technical support throughout the project to ensure the correct installation against challenging programme times. By utilising the naturally coloured asphalt, the client received a durable fit for purpose product, which helped enhance the overall aesthetics of the project.
Learn More about ULTICOLOUR Download case study
Gary Fraser – Roads Project Engineer Clackmannanshire Council
“Tarmac provided a material of exceptional quality, delivered it to suit our timescales and the quantity required. Tarmac also provided personnel to oversee the works in progress and to ensure that quality control requirements were being met by our contractor. The material chosen greatly enhanced our high-quality traffic management and public realm works and I would have great confidence in using this product again in similar projects”.
ULTICOLOUR is a range of vibrant coloured asphalts that bring outdoor spaces to life. ULTICOLOUR has many uses, from driveways and playgrounds to estate roads and bus lanes. Using a high performance clear binder, ULTICOLOUR offers far brighter colours than conventional asphalts. It is also highly durable, delivering lasting performance, even on highly trafficked roads.
- ULTICOLOUR Long lasting colour and demarcation on a central London cycle path
- Ulticolour cycle way Ulticolour, A34 Cycleway, Birmingham
- ULTICOLOUR Ulticolour improves demarcation and pedestrian safety outside primary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for exclusive wedding and event venue
- Highway Services Stockport Highway Investment Programme
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for busy adventure park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured asphalt for retail park
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured estate road surface for traditional housing development
- ULTICOLOUR POROUS Coloured sports pitch for secondary school
- ULTICOLOUR Coloured car park surface for a modern housing development
- ULTICOLOUR Colourful visitor footpaths for a busy leisure park
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coastal footpath for nature reserve
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for woodland footpath
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured asphalt for busy tourist venue
- ULTICOLOUR Decorative coloured surface for a coastal promenade
- ULTICOLOUR Lasting durability: 18 years of service on a busy bus route