ULTILOW & ULTIPAVE
Warm mix asphalt road resurfacing on the busy M6 motoway
M6 Junction 13-12 South Bound
Kier, Area 9
This busy section of the M6 between Cannock and Stafford required resurfacing. This section of motorway forms a strategically important route between Birmingham and Manchester and carries high volumes of cars and heavy goods vehicles. Any delays to this project would have had a significant economic impact, so keeping to the scheduled work programme and avoiding any additional delays was essential. Maintaining the highest standards of site safety and reducing the environmental impact of highway maintenance activities were also key considerations for the client.
After discussion with the client, the team at Tarmac Contracting recommended a high performance 14mm ULTIPAVE using their ULTILOW warm mix technology. ULTILOW is a range of low temperature asphalts manufactured, supplied and laid at lower temperatures. They offer equivalent performance to conventional hot mix asphalts but with the added benefits of enhanced workability, improved sustainability and earlier reopening times to traffic. These benefits and the proven performance of Tarmac Ultilow asphalts elsewhere on the strategic road network, convinced Highways England to grant a departure from standard material specifications.
Results and benefits
In total, 9,512 tonnes of warm mix asphalt was supplied from Tarmac’s Bayston Hill and Caldon Low plants. Work was completed by Tarmac Contracting over 14 night shifts between 25 April and 13 May 2016. The lower temperature of the asphalt helped reduce fumes and improve site visibility. It also meant that large volumes could be laid during the night shift and still be cool enough to open to traffic on schedule. Carbon footprint calculations also showed a significant saving in CO₂ emissions compared to the equivalent standard hotmix asphalt.
Learn more about ULTILOW Download case study
Less cooling time between courses increases the paving volumes per shift.
Enhanced visibility and safety
The lower temperature of the asphalt helped reduce fumes and improve visibility.
Proven on the busiest routes
ULTILOW warm mix asphalts offer equivalent performance to conventional hot mix asphalts and are proven on some of the UK's busiest roads.
ULTILOW case studies
- ULTIPAVE WITH ULTILOW WARM MIX BINDER Warm mix asphalt with lower carbon emissions
- Rubber Modified Asphalt Rubber Modified Asphalt delivers enhanced sustainability
- ULTILAYER WITH ULTILOW WARM MIX BINDER Fast, sustainable, single layer resurfacing on a busy London road
- ULTILAYER, ULTILOW and Steel Slag ULTILAYER SMA delivers single layer pavement upgrade in Northolt
- ULTILOW A2 Bluewater, ULTILOW and early engagement delivering timesaving productvity
- ULTILOW Driving efficiency and reducing carbon on on the A350
- ULTILOW Warm mix asphalt for new link road
- ULTILOW Warm mix asphalt road resurfacing on the busy M6 motoway
- ULTILOW Reducing programme times and carbon emissions during road resurfacing